Monday, April 15, 2013

Transplant 2 Day 20

It was disappointing to wake up this morning and find out that I did not have engraftment yet, being it has been 20 days and almost three weeks since the transplant.  The whole family is hanging on for the news too, so I wrote an email to my kids, siblings, and our parents to let them know the numbers this morning.

But on a good note, the unit head, Adrienne, came in with the hematologist and pharmacist and they are changing a bunch of my IV medications into pill form.  So I've added three new pills to my collection at mealtimes but I'm free of my dancing partner (IV pole) except for blood and platelet transfusions.  That was nice news!  

Just before they came, I had gone for a walk in the halls in my haz-mat gear (gloves, gown, mask) and ran into my doctor by the elevators.  I talked with him for a few minutes.  I also ran into my physiotherapist and she was happy to see me with my walker.  I also ran into my dietician and she smiled to see me up and moving.  I also ran into the unit head, Adrienne.  The hospital hallway is busy in the day time!  I usually walk in the evenings when it's quieter. 

When Adrienne was visiting with me in my isolation room, she commented on how beautiful it was outside today.  She suggested that Barb and I go outside fora drive and get some sunshine.  We were excited to take her up on it!  We started preparing for that - gathering two sets of haz-mat gear, putting street clothes on, finding my coat and shoes back.  While we were doing that, my sister texted.  My sisters and father were all together getting ready to leave for Toronto to leave for Holland, so we quickly skyped together with them before they left.  Today is my sister, Patricia's, birthday and would have been my parents' 59th wedding anniversary.  We pray for a good flight for them today and a good visit.

And then we were off!  We decided right away to go home.  I was surprised that it wasn't greener out there!  I've been oblivious to how the wheat fields are doing with my view of the parking lot from my hospital window.  Spring is as slow as my engraftment... taking its time.  We were thankful for the lovely sunshine today though!

It was so good to have some real lunch at home with Barb, drink homemade coffee, see the farm again, and be in our home.  It was so nice and warm - 21 degrees - that I was able to sit outside in our screen room and have a coffee out of the wind.  We didn't stay out for very long but it sure felt nice.  As you may have noticed, I have lots of chemo curl.  I'm not going to lose my hair this time, but my hair sure has been wild!  


It was wonderful to be home but we were back at the hospital by mid-afternoon.  We had a quiet afternoon.  Barb and I played another game of Kings in the Corner.  Last September, we played Scrabble every day.  This spring, we've been daily playing this game (which is a card game).  Barb and I take turns thrashing each other and then gloating for the rest of the day.  

It's going to be tough to be content in the isolation room after being outside and being home.  We continue to have to trust in the Lord's gift of patience and we pray that He will soon grant engraftment and healing.  

From our evening devotions with Spurgeon:
Believer, if you are anxious, careworn, and worried, it cannot do you any good.  It reflects no honour on your great Father.  Pray for faith to transfer your back-breaking load to the great Burden-Bearer.  If your burden is lightened, your strength is multiplied.  If you are content with the divine will, it is better than increased riches, because wealth does not bring peace, and prosperity gives no joy in the Lord.  Whatever burden faith finds, it casts it on God in prayer.

This waiting day-by-day is a heavy burden.  Pray that we can cast it on the Lord and leave it there, without taking it up again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie's hair came back curly too. She's not happy with that. But we've heard many people get curly hair and then it goes back to straight again. That's what she's hoping for.

We continue to pray for you that engraftment will happen soon.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Good evening: Bill and I just listened to the "Day by Day" song, and we so blessed...this has been our personal favorite (among others) during the many trials God has seen fit to bless us with in this life. Right now, I am called a "shut in", since I can't get to church or anywhere for long, due to chronic pain/fibromyalgia/ osteoarthritis. A couple weeks ago I had an infected ingrown toenail. I had to get antibiotics as any infection could get to my knee replacement of a year ago. Then hobbling set my lower back into spasms...etc. Day by day, God gives grace, but it is sometimes really hard, at 66 to be dependent on my husband for cooking/cleaning/etc. and he so willingly loves to "serve" me among all his other duties of his calling. We weep for you, Richard and Barb as you struggle to keep it all "committed" and in God's hands. We sort of know the feeling...as we struggle with a couple of our children's wayward lives, and lack of love. Thanks again for blessing us with especially Spurgeon's devotions. Where did you get the book, and what is it called? Love in Jesus, our Saviour, Lord and keeper. He will never give us more than we can endure with His grace going before us all the time! Rev & BEv Van Hal

Anonymous said...

pS I found another favorite on Youtube: Because He Lives! Enjoy!

Danielle said...

Hi there Richard and Barb... it's been a while since i've commented, but that doesn't mean i have not been reading... everyday pretty well - and then little updates from Mike and Rach in between there...
I was sorry to hear that it's taking a long time for engraftment but i'm happy to hear that fevers have been at bay for the last while - and that you got a day pass too! Exciting! And thanks for the pic! Love the curls!
We pray for you daily as well - and know that all things are in our heavenly Father's hands...
To keep on with the song theme, i've been thoroughly enjoying Matt Redman's Never Once and Ten Thousand Reasons, they run through my head often and the words mean so much (got them off the cd that Karen made for y'all!)
Cheers and a very early morning greeting from the night shift in Hamilton
Danielle

Deka said...

How beautiful to have that chance to get out, enjoy outside, enjoy the sunshine, and especially enjoy being home.....with real food, real coffee...and real life......
Short.....but no doubt so sweet.

I read your blog almost daily, and it's sad to hear the engraftment hasn't taken yet. That will indeed be heavy to take. :(
And still your love for the Lord always comes out stronger. If it wasn't for Him, you would be in much worse shape mentally and emotionally, and then probably also physically.

We all want life....and that makes it hard to hear each day, no engraftment yet.

I wish we could lighten your load, Richard and Barb. But we keep you before the Lord.....always.

Thank you, Richard, for always sharing!

much love and thoughts and prayers...........
Deka

Anonymous said...

Praying.