Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Transplant 2 Day 14

I had a good night and was woken up by the nurse shortly before 8:00 as they were hooking up a unit of platelets.  I ask, "So these are the matched HLA platelets?"  "Yep, just like Sunday!"  I had no idea I had had matched platelets on Sunday, but that is why I incremented to 14 yesterday from 10.  The unit head, Adrienne, came in mid-morning.  She had been gone last week on holidays, so she checked the Sunday platelets and confirmed that they were matched.  She right away ordered a blood test to see how high my platelet count goes after getting a unit.  She explained that with a really good match, you can get a 20 point jump from a platelet transfusion right after.  I haven't heard how well they did yet but I'll find out tomorrow.

My sister, Sharon, called this morning and I had a nice conversation with her.  Barb and I played some Ginny-O.  The last time we played it was years ago, when my cousin, Renny, from Holland was visiting us in the mid-90s.  We don't have a photo album here at the hospital room for me to figure out the exact date but we found the old score pad with Renny's name on it.  And Barb wants you to know that she won.  But I won today!

While we were playing, my hematologist walked in.  He is leaving this afternoon for a bone marrow transplant conference in Winterpeg, where it's still -14 and snow covered.  He came in here, calling it a "social visit" and wanted to check in before he left.  We know that my case is on his mind a lot as he keeps stopping in.  We discussed the "what if" side of things today.  We talked a little bit about possible scenarios that are tough.  There are no easy answers.  At this point, we are going to leave them as hypotheticals and I'll fill you in as things become more definite.  For him and I to have somewhat of an understanding of some of the questions we would have to approach in the near future if certain situations happen is important.  I know I've said nothing here and made it confusing, but that's where we're at right now.

Other than that, the rest of the afternoon was spent quietly.  We talked with Dave over the phone this afternoon too.  We skyped with Sarah and her boys, and with Andrea and Derek.  Karen came by for coffee later this afternoon.  We'll probably talk with Michael and Rachel this evening some time.  Barb has discovered that she can make our car horn beep using her remote from up here on the seventh floor and it gives her great pleasure to see people jump.  And makes us laugh!  Can you tell that we're getting a bit bored?  But as we are being told by our nurses, boring is good.  :)

We're currently enjoying a thunderstorm from our seventh floor view.  A reminder of our powerful God.

Tonight's text comes to us from our niece, Heidi.  It talks about the day of the Lord coming.  Malachi 4:2 says: "but for you who fear My Name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings.  You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall!"  Heidi writes, "You would know a lot more about leaping like calves released from the stall than I do :) But I imagine its with some excitement and power that they're leaping!  I pray that'll be you as the sun of righteousness rises with healing in its wings! ... God is a sunrise, righteousness, bringing healing - wings (like eagles)!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Barb has discovered that she can make our car horn beep using her remote from up here on the seventh floor and it gives her great pleasure to see people jump. And makes us laugh! Can you tell that we're getting a bit bored? But as we are being told by our nurses, boring is good. :) "

Glad to see one can also have some fun and giggles. :)

Deka :)

Anonymous said...

Julie's oncologist has said many times to us that boring is good; and I definitely agree. I hope you have many more "boring" days ahead.
Cathy Linnell